Monday, February 4, 2013

Happy Birthday Meemz!

This is a special birthday edition of Moments with Meemz....

Saturday was The Meemz birthday- she is a groundhog day baby.  She turned 78 and here is what she asked for on her birthday wish list:

1. Black Knee Boots (yes, you read that correctly)
2. An Angel for her Angel Collection

She also requested that we go to Olive Garden for dinner because she wanted some Italian food. So, at 7 p.m. on Saturday we all met at the O.G. in Fayetteville.  In attendance were The Suze, Mr. Moe, Robin, Chan, Elizabeth, Chelsea, The Meemz and myself.  When I got there, I hugged The Meemz and said happy birthday and this happened:

L: Happy Birthday Meemz!
Meemz:  Happy Birthday to you too
L: Uh..Meemz...it isn't my birthday....
Meemz:  Oh..well for when it is your birthday then.
L:  That's about 6 months from now.
Meemz:  Well we need to start planning for that!
L:  *blink* *blink* *blink*

When we FINALLY got seated, the waiter came over to take our drink order and ended up being introduced to the whole table, by The Meemz of course, complete with not only our names, but also our relationship to the birthday girl.  Always exciting.  So, anywho- we order our drinks (virgin piña colada for the Meemz) and start chatting while we wait for our drinks and our appetizer.  By the way, I'm sure you're all shocked to hear that our appetizer was to include fried cheese and ranch dressing.  

So, I was at the opposite end of the table from The Meemz, chatting with Elizabeth when I hear something being said about white rice being inappropriate.  Naturally this confused me so I started listening to what was being said.  According to The Meemz, one should NEVER serve white rice with pork chops as Dogwood Forest does.  It is just NOT done.  I mean...who has ever heard of something so pedestrian as serving white rice (gasp!) with pork chops (no!).  The Meemz assured us all that she would NEVER do that.  The Suze said that isn't true and the Meemz looked quite affronted.  I cannot believe that The Suze would suggest something so offensive...some nerve she's got.

After this little revelation  the waiter came back to take our orders.  So we all start ordering and he gets to the Meemz and here is what she ordered:

Meemz: I'll have a steak, medium well, with a baked potato and salad, with ranch.
Waiter: I'm sorry ma'am, we don't have baked potatoes.
Everyone else: Meemz, we're at Olive Garden.  Didn't you want Italian food?
Meemz: Well, I changed my mind b/c we've had pasta so much lately.
Everyone else: *blink* *blink* (in heads) what are you talking about?
Waiter:  We do have these other potato options......
Meemz: I'll have the *blah blah* potatoes and a salad with ranch dressing.

While we were waiting on our food, the Meemz got a piece of paper and pen out of her purse and asked Elizabeth and I to write down our names, addresses and phone numbers for her b/c she got a new address book for Christmas and she needs to start filling it in.  Chandler tried to get out of doing this, but I made sure that she didn't get away with it.  I think she wanted to stab me in the throat for that....

After we ate, we let Meemz and Robin open their gifts.  Now keep in mind the two items listed above that were on the birthday wish list.  First, Meemz opened her new boots (not knee boots by the way) which she seemed pleased with.  When she started to open her second gift, she looked at the table and very pointedly said "I asked for some Starburst jelly beans for my birthday."  Well, no you didn't actually.  The Suze very quickly said that she was not giving her jelly beans for her birthday and Robin reminded her that jelly beans were not, in fact, on the wish list.  What she actually got, in addition to the boots, was an angel for her collection, as she requested.  The angel got passed around the table and quite frankly, I found it a little creepy.  It doesn't have a face!!

Look:


So Creepy!!

I prefer angels like this:


See- much better.  And don't try to deny how awesome that silver hair is!! Clearly this angel had her wings & hairs dyed to match.  So stylish.

After presents we had dessert- The Suze mad a peanut butter pie for The Meemz (her fave) and Chelsea made cupcake for her mom.  The Meemz had told us before we were even seated that she would need to take extra pie and extra cupcakes back home with her to share with the ladies at her table in the dining room.  She is so thoughtful and obviously much better at sharing than I am.  I didn't eat any pie but I can tell you that Chelsea's cupcakes were delish.  Chocolate cream cheese frosting would taste good slathered on cardboard so when it was paired with super moist cake you can imagine the level of deliciousness.  

During dinner, the Meemz told us about the Easter Cantata (?) that her hairdresser is participating in at her church.  Of course we will all get to go.  Try to control you jealousy.  Not everyone can be included in the Meemz very elite social circle.

So, that's how it went down on The Meemz birthday.  It was great being able to celebrate with the Meemz this year- it's been a couple of years since she was up to it so it really was a special day. 

In closing, I leave you with these words of wisdom from The Meemz. (she shared these with Erin last night)
 "It's important for kids to grow up with a dog."




No comments:

Post a Comment