One of The Meemz' favorite things is jewelry. Any kind of jewelry, especially holiday themed jewelry. She loves it dearly and does not understand people who don't share her love. I am one of those people. I have long been a source of concern to The Meemz because I don't really care for jewelry. I almost never wear any and what I do wear is very small and very simple. The Meemz' has been on a campaign to get me more jewelry for many years but I have not been converted, much to her chagrin.
On any given day, even if she doesn't leave her room, The Meemz will have on 11 rings (at the same time), 8 or 9 bracelets, a watch (or two) and 5 or 6 necklaces. She will also have on earrings and sometimes will have a pin or two on the shoulder (yes, the shoulder) of her shirt or sweater. Once I asked her why she had 2 rings on some of her fingers. Apparently it was a silly question. The Meemz answer was that some of her rings won't stay on unless she has another ring on top. Her tone suggested that I should have been able to figure this out on my own....
Once when my sister, Erin, took the Meemz shopping they ended up in the JC Penney jewelry department. For the Meemz, jewelry from JC Penney and/or Belk is equivalent to jewelry from Tiffany and/or Harry Winston. The Meemz started look at necklaces and asked Erin what she thought about one in particular. Erin didn't really care for the necklace but said it was nice anyway, just because that is much easier. Little did Erin know that The Meemz was picking the necklace out for her. Erin doesn't wear necklaces, never really has. She told The Meemz that she doesn't really like necklaces and as you can imagine, that did not go over well. The Meemz was hell bent on buying some jewelry though, so she bought herself another watch. When The Suze asked her about the watch later, The Meemz said that Erin told her to buy it because she deserved it. Sure Meemz, sure she did.....
One Easter the Meemz decided that she wanted to buy birthstone watches for all of her granddaughters. Oh lawd... She already had it picked out. It looked something like this:
Pretty, isn't it? It's ok, you can say no. We all did. Luckily for me, The Suze reminded the Meemz of my aversion to jewelry so I didn't get a watch. However, Erin, Chelsea, Caitlin and Chan all got one. And were they ever excited about their watches... Erin's didn't fit, or so she said, so the Meemz said she would wear that one too. Of course she bought one for herself too. The Meemz loves any birthstone-themed piece of jewelry.
The Meemz will still give me jewelry periodically. Mostly pieces of her own that she doesn't wear anymore and they all seem to have some kind of story attached...... According to The Meemz, every piece of jewelry she owns is a family heirloom. We don't actually have any family heirlooms, not that I'm aware of anyway, and if we did I doubt they would be from Belk or JC Penney. Just saying.
The Meemz does have some very nice pieces of jewelry, mostly stuff that Papa bought her. One piece is diamond tennis bracelet. You'd never know that's what it is though because it is so caked with lotion that you can't actually see the diamonds. I know The Suze and Robin have both tried to clean it, so has Erin but there's just no hope for it.
P.S. Last Mother's Day the Meemz got a balance bracelet. She could not stop talking about how beautiful it was.
P.P.S. The balance bracelet does not work. Don't fall for it!

No comments:
Post a Comment